This is a the historic Old Clove Church in Wantage, NJ. A little history:
First Presbyterian Church of Wantage (Old Clove Church) is a historic church in Wantage Township, Sussex County, New Jersey, United States. Church records point to a Dutch Reformed congregation founded in 1788, which merged with First Presbyterian Church of Wantage, founded in 1818. The building is situated on a hill, due south of Clove Brook, a creek from which it derives its common name. It was built in 1829 and added to the National Register in 1982. The structure is no longer used as a church, but the Friends of Old Clove Church continue an inter-denominational service once annually.
The church is Greek Revival with Gothic detailing. The Gothic windows were included as ornament to distinguish the structure as a place of worship. Schools and barns in the area had a similar style and structure. This is the third church building to inhabit the property. The National Register of Historic Places describes the church as a "simple 1 1/2 story rectangular clapboarded frame structure with a four bayside facade and a three bay gable front on a cut stone foundation." The structure remains virtually unchanged since the 19th century. Features include: original floor design, original pews and a balcony that spans three sides of the interior. Two double-leaf entrance doorways on the south side of the structure point to separate entrances for males and females. Pot-bellied stoves and a Victorian chandelier were additions during the churches centennial.
Watermark will NOT appear on purchased products.
February 26th, 2018
Viewed 445 Times - Last Visitor from Indianapolis, IN on 02/21/2024 at 1:22 PM